Despite the fact that temptation is running rampant and every next person at work has a snack-sized chocolate bar in their lunch, there's no need to worry this year. We're on your side - Here's how you can enjoy those Hallowe'en treats without busting your waistline. Just follow these handy tips.
1. Avoid candy all together. Buy healthier treats like bags of pretzels, granola bars or sugarless gum, or pass out non-edible treats like stickers or Hallowe'en pencils.
2. OK let's be real. At least buy Halloween candy on Halloween. No matter how tempting...buy your candy at the last minute.
3. Don’t overbuy. It’s better to run out of candy and end the show early then to have piles of tempting treats leftover.
4. Buy candy you don't like so it won't be a temptation. Why torture and tempt yourself by having boxes and bags of your favourite candy bars around the house?
5. Keep gum in our mouth when you're going to be around other treats.
6. Get rid of over 50% of the treats your kids bring home and/or leftover goodies that were not given away. Donate it or throw it out. Having it in the house is too much of a temptation and a health hazard for the whole family!
7. Avoid "drive-by's". Tempation lurks at every turn. Co-workers will have candy bowls. There will be pumpkin cookies at parties. Take control by NOT eating everytime you see something that tempts you.
8. Don't skip meals. Eat your normal meals and then a snack-sized version of your favourite candy bar for dessert.
9. Set a limit. grab one or two mini-chocolate bars and tell yourself that's it. They're so small that you think you can have 'one of each' and it's OK...but it's not! Those calories add up fast!
10. Then hide the rest. Get them out of your sight! Out of sight, out of mind...
11. Get a workout in the next day and you won't feel badly about splurging the night before.
Remember, it's OK to indulge once in a while, just make sure that the rest of the time, you eat healthy and take care of yourself!
And finally, before you dig in to those candies, test your Hallowe'en knowledge in the quiz "What Does 100 Calories of Candy Look Like?" from Women's Health Online.